What is MiYOSMART?
If left untreated, myopia can lead to lasting vision problems with significant greater rates of progression especially in children with high myopia. The annual myopia progression rate in under 10 year olds is the most rapid.
MiYOSMART is an innovative spectacle lens for myopia control in children using award-winning D.I.M.S. (Defocus Incorporated Multiple Segments) technology, a special optical design which may help to slow down the speed at which myopia progresses. The lenses provide vision correction whilst working to reduce the progression of short-sightedness.
Research showed that participants who completed the 2-year Hoya and The Hong Kong Polytechnic trial wearing MiYOSMART with D.I.M.S. technology had myopia progression reduced by an average of 60% compared to those wearing single vision lenses.
Vision problems corrected by MiYOSMART
- Myopia in children
- Astigmatism in children
How long does the effect last?
MiYOSMART lenses must be worn regularly to maintain vision improvements. If lens wear is discontinued this may affect the myopia progression.
When were MiYOSMART lenses developed?
MiYOSMART spectacle lenses were first launched in the Far East following a successful two-year clinical trial which started in 2014. They were introduced in the UK in 2021.
In 2018 MiYOSMART spectacle lenses won the prestigious Gold Prize, Grand Award and Special Gold Award International Exhibition of Inventions of Geneva, Switzerland and the Silmo d’Or Award in the Vision category at the Silmo Paris Optical Fair in 2020.
MiYOSMART Accredited Suppliers
We were one of the initial practices in the UK to be trained and accredited to fit and supply MiYOSMART spectacle lenses when the lens was launched on the British market at the beginning of 2021. The accreditation process involved passing examinations in understanding the scientific basis of the MiYOSMART lens design, how it influences visual clarity and function, patient selection and suitability. This provides us a comprehensive understanding of the MiYOSMART lens together with the experience and knowledge we have in other fields of myopia management.
How much does MiYOSMART cost?
MiYOSMART spectacle lenses cost £280.00 for a pair of lenses. We take a non-refundable 50% deposit with the order, the final balance is paid at collection. In addition to the cost of MiYOSMART lenses a new pair of spectacle frames for your child may need to be chosen, the cost of which will depend on your frame selection.
Warranty and Peace of Mind Guarantee
MiYOSMART lenses come with a Warranty and Peace of Mind Guarantee*
- If a child’s myopia progresses by -0.75D or greater in 12 months we will replace one pair of lenses at no charge.
- One month peace of mind guarantee on non-tolerance and scratching.
- A further 11 month scratch warranty – 50% discount on one pair of lenses replaced due to scratching.
*Terms and Conditions apply. Please enquire for full details. The warranty does not cover spectacle frames and does not renew once replacement lenses are provided. Terms and Conditions are subject to change by Hoya.
Who is suitable for MiYOSMART?
We find the following are most suited:
- Ideal for children with a spherical prescription: -0.00 to -10.00 / Astigmatism up to -4.00.and up to 3 prism
- Works best for children aged 6-18 years old.
- An excellent alternative for those children who are not keen on contact lenses.
- Easy adaptability for young children.
MiYOSMART. Myopia management spectacle lenses.
What are the advantages of MiYOSMART?
Lenses provide vision correction for comfortable vision.
Lenses work to reduce progression of short-sightedness.
Comprehensive UV protection for the eyes and anti-reflective coating.
Degree of success on average by up to 60% (but not guaranteed).
Impact resistant polycarbonate material lenses offering good eye protection.
Peace of Mind
Comes with a MiYOSMART warranty. Terms and Conditions apply.
It all starts here. Book a consultation today to discuss further.
Myopia Management Plan
If you are interested in MiYOSMART spectacle lenses, please contact us to book a non-obligation free consultation. We do require a copy of your child’s up-to-date prescription before this consultation to first advise whether your child is suitable for MiYOSMART.
At this consultation our Dispensing Opticians will discuss how the lens technology works, show you a sample lens and advise pricing.
If your child does not have a valid prescription and is eligible for their NHS sight test, we can provide this eye test for them under the NHS otherwise a private fee will be charged. Our Reception Team will be able to advise.
If you wish to proceed with ordering a pair of MiYOSMART spectacle lenses our Dispensing Opticians will:
- Help select the correct frame for the lenses. Alternatively, your child may be able to use their own frame if suitable.
- Take customised measurements for your child’s bespoke MiYOSMART spectacle lenses to ensure the treatment zone is correctly aligned.
- Take a 50% non-refundable deposit and place the order. The lenses are customized lenses and it normally takes 7-10 days to be manufactured.
- We will call you to book a collection appointment to professionally fit your child’s new pair of glasses.
- After collection our Dispensing Opticians will give you a follow up call to evaluate how your child is adapting to their new lenses.
- A 6 month follow up appointment with the Optometrist to assess your child’s vision and monitor myopia progression.