National Eye Health Week takes place each year promoting the importance of good eye health and the need for regular eye tests for all. Undetected and untreated problems with vision is one of many factors that plays a significant role in older people falling.
How a visit to our Optometrist can help
Each eye examination is tailored to the individual patient and their eye care needs enabling the Optometrist to provide sound advice on information gathered from careful questioning and testing and to prescribe or refer as appropriate.
Some of the considerations that can potentially help in the prevention of falls are:
- Measuring visual acuity to ensure spectacles are up-to-date. It is important to wear the correct prescription.
- Finding out when glasses are worn and for which activities. E.g. walking around in reading glasses can cause falls.
- Teaching awareness of peripheral perception and the practical steps to implement this.
- Giving advice on how to reduce glare and improved directional lighting.
- Advising on the most appropriate prescription for your needs.
- Checking for any conditions that affect loss of visual acuity.
- Monitoring eye conditions such as cataract, glaucoma and macular degeneration with an OCT retinal scan.
- Referring for treatment of refractive error, cataracts, glaucoma and macular degeneration to the NHS or Privately.
How our Dispensing Opticians can help
Dispensing Opticians also give professional advice on how to reduce the risk of falls by explaining how your glasses work in your everyday activities.
They are very happy to take time to explain during the dispensing of your glasses:
- How to use progressive or bifocal lenses when going up and down stairs, which glasses to wear when watching TV or when walking around.
- The use of tints and anti-reflection coatings to assist with glare.
Our Dispensing Opticians will also ensure the fitting of your spectacles is appropriate for your needs when you collect your new glasses.
Remember healthy eyes are happy eyes so if you have any concerns at all, please give us a call.
The Gordon Turner Optometrists Team